Friday 6 August 2010

Forays in Brewing

Sitting in my garage, upon the precipice of the old freezer, is my first brew. 40 glorious pints of East Kent Golding's IPA!

At least I hope it is...

Having not yet tasted the brew, I have no real way of knowing what is in there. Am I secretly brewing one of the finest IPA's ever produced? Or am I in fact just mass producing an acrid form of Witch hazel?

Not knowing what is going on is frustrating. But more so is the fact I've had to leave it in the garage this entire time, due to complaints about strange vats of fluid being left in the house. I mean really, it's only beer/antiseptic!

Anyways, I'm one week away from racking it off into a keg for secondary, at which point I'll sneak a taste and see if it is any good at all. Until then, however, I'm planning a second brew to wallop into my FV in the short term. Currently, I'm planning a nice Belgian blonde, with a bit of candy sugar in the grain bill to add some strength without using all malt and ending up with syrup! I'm also going to play with some grain as well, doing a partial mash, to see how difficult it is to add the flavours of some Munich and Belgian Pale malt to it!

Anyway, what are your thoughts regarding a good Belgian Blonde? Am I mad with ambition, or well within the realms of possibility? I am getting somewhat nervous at attempting this but... I've paid the grain bill now so I'm doing something in a weeks time!

Any thoughts of more specific recipes/ideas would be more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment