Thursday 12 August 2010

Chimay Blue

Yesterday evening, having racked off and sampled the first tastes of my IPA (Cloudy, but tasty), I decided to begin research ahead of my next brew. Seeing as I have a Belgian planned, and that I intend to cultivate a yeast from bottle, I had an obvious choice to make: Which Belgian yeast to use?

Well, knowing Duvel well, and being limited by the choice in my local supermarket, I opted to try the only other Belgian bottle conditioned beer they had: Chimay Blue. One of only 6 true trappist beers in Belgium, I wasn't too sure what to expect. Blonde, or Brown? Sweet and Malty, or Sweet and sickly? Rich, or rich? Strong, or absolutely lethal?

Well, I think there is a reason why many of these monks don't talk. By the time they've had a sip of their own brew, they are in a state of wonder and shock that comes from a religious experience like this. Opening the beer with a gentle hiss and pouring delicately to avoid sediment, it was a deep brown colour, that formed a rich, tall, creamy head without too much effort. The smell was one of rich, malty caramel. And alcohol.

However, the first taste was not as strong as some beers I have had. It had that characteristic high gravity, slightly sour syrupy sweetness that I had come to expect. However, it was thick and heavy- something I wouldn't characterise for such Belgium styles, often known for a relative lightness compared to strength. Very little hop bitterness came through, that which did was moderately fruity. But this beer isn't about hops, it's malty and sweet. This is Christmas beer, to be had sozzled in front of "The Great Escape" following too much pudding, when your looking for a come down step between port and the savoury world.

All in all, I enjoyed my Chimay greatly, it slipped down quickly and proved a moorish and suppable pint. However, it wasn't quite my drink. The flavour profile was just a bit sweet and heavy for my personal tastes. I think the lighter Belgian Blonde style just lets hops come through that tad more, and the lighter profile they have with the high gravity makes them that much more digestible and quaffable.

Although, really, with an ABV of 9%, a heavier beer that discourages heavy consumption may be a good thing in hindsight...

But I digress: A decadent tipple of fruity, rich, malty caramel. Complex and superb. However, for my own brew, I shall stick to Duvel yeast. If only so that I get to drink a bottle of the devil itself first...

1 comment: