Monday 2 August 2010

All is ago...

Never in life has beer been more hectic this!

Having just embarked on my first home brew, last Friday, this week has been a nervous one. Every morning I wake, yawn, then tiptoe down to my garage in an 80's dressing gown and flip-flops, to look at my beer. Sitting there, in its fermenting vessel. Lid bulging slightly. Everyday, I give the lid a squeeze, hear the airlock bubble- and wait for the aroma. from banana, to apple, to rough alcohol, the fermentation has given my nose a different bouquet of fine (albeit not beery!) aromas everyday. But, more than that, it has given me satisfaction! I can create, or at least attempt to- with relative ease- a product that so many people can't even dream of making. Most don't know the first thing about where beer comes from! It is a bitter sweet empotion, one of pride and sadness. One as well that, someday, I'd like to change.

Working backwards from my blurb above, as it were, the next impending matter is that of my University bar. I'm lucky enough to have been elected bar treasurer for my college bar next year in Oxford, and along with my mate who's managing it, and a couple of supervisors, we'll get to run a bar with no overheads! Haha! It is a dream come true- and an invaluable lesson in stepping up to ever doing something similar on a larger scale. Currently, however, things are something of a mess. I need to sort out stock, staff and- oh, a lack of accounts for last year. Joy!

Nevertheless, the amazing enthusiasm and excitement I feel can't be emphasised enough- along with the limitless possibility and my great friend JT, with whom I shall be running the establishment, the bar should be a great outlet for me to spread the message of beer. I think a small festival will even be in order...

Lastly, the beer aspect of the blog. Simply put, it's the...

Oh... yeah. I'm attending the festival on Wednesday and will be hoping to make some notes to provide some high quality, critical reviews- as well as a few low quality reviews when I'm several sheets to the wind. Still, sometimes a low quality review of a high quality product can do it more justice than a normal review, as most sober reviewers will articulate and describe and advocate with decorum and style reminiscent of the beer itself. I'll threaten you so that you the buy the beer for fear of your eyes. My advocacy will a) do the necessity of the beer more justice and b) actually be more effective.

He says, tongue in cheek with a wry smile!

Anyways, cheers until later! Hopefully I'll have a review or two up in the next few days, as well as my festival report, some musings and general beer chat!





No comments:

Post a Comment